In this BLOG you will read all about the exhibtion LIVE FACTORY MAKE MY DAY at the SALONE INTERNAZIONALE DEL MOBILE 2013 in MILAN from the perspective of participating students.

2013-04-10 02:16:38
by RĂ³man Kienjet

‘Papi di papi munchi berdago Lambrate’ or freely translated, it has been another cold and wet day here in mellow Lambrate.

First day of il Salone so the crowd had to wake up a bit.

It’s a pity because the Art Science people are almost done with their ravaging Volta project. They began with the performance at twelve o’ clock this afternoon and the grand finale, the big applause, the crazy recognition has to start 30 minutes from now.

But I count fifteen visitors and eight upcoming famous designers in white KABK jackets.

Lets wait and see. Till then, I shall tell you what everybody else is doing.

Tommy is draping cow intestines around a balloon model to make a mask,

Danitsja is too damn curious watching my computer screen, Frank is weaving some twisted papers tread, and Maarten is talking to a Italian visitor.

20 minutes till Volta.

Everybody had a task today. I, for instance, went flyering around the design district,

some people had to start the live factory, and others had the day off. I think everyone is still adjusting to the daily routine of formally talking to people and taking care of the exhibition. A world of difference when I think of the three building days we had yesterday and the two days before.

five minutes till Volta.

The exhibition looks great though. It was a real satisfaction when everything was finished last night/morning.

Lights are out! I think it’s Volta time.

People are surrounding around the pile of clothes and sink and copper plates. The artists are watching very serious. ‘Come closer people.’ The photographer (Joel) gets his instructions. The last plates are stacked on the top in a very ceremonial way.

Some whisperings and walking and waiting. I can see the tension hanging in the air.


The light went on.

Greetings from Milan.



2013-04-09 06:54:10
Unpacking and Plastering

by Catherine Reiser

Passing through baggage check,  without having to empty everything out of our already bursting hand luggage was a relief.  People from the design team were already relaxing at the bar and slowly everyone else arrived. After a few drinks we got on the plane, slightly tipsy and excited about the next week.  

Catching the bus and then the tram we then walked to an inconspicuous green door leading into a courtyard where we are told to be as quiet as possible. Tiptoeing across the cobbles so as not to disturb the neighbours. We threw our stuff into the room where we were all to sleep and walked around the corner to the nearest bar where we enjoyed a pint of beer.

The next morning I was woken by Dirk and Stephen, clambering over everyone. I got up to use the toilet and have a shower with no luck: one shower and fifteen people doesn’t work to well when you have 15 minutes to get ready, so without a shower, pulling my clothes on from the night before we all left for the exhibition space in Lambrate.

Grabbing a coffee and croissant along the way we caught the metro and 30 minutes later we had arrived, the lorry was already there so we starting unpacking straight away, it was quick to get everything out apart from a small paint spillage everything went really smoothly.

We split into teams of two, one lighting and one painting. Everyone was really busy and I was caught in the middle of both, a bit of painting and a bit of screwing lights to the ceiling. Lunchtime came quickly. A huge spread was laid out for us outside in the sun. It was so nice to be outside. Thinking that it would be slightly warmer in Milan, the hall didn’t have that much natural light so it was quite cold and we were all wrapped in scarves,  hats, coats and gloves.

Lunch was so relaxing, chatting and chilling in the sun and while we were sitting there the second group of people arrived.

Later on in the evening we prepared the table for the plaster to be filled. It was quite a job laying all the table out screwing the panels together, making it a flat as possible and then covering it with black plastic and making the mold around the edge. Dirk took charge, as with the whole project, he managed it so well and we all worked together to get it prepared for the pouring. Over a mound of pizza we ate and got some energy back and like a military operation, discussed how this process would take place.

We all were assigned to specific jobs, myself being the cleaner of the buckets with Dirk, Louisa was the powder Fairy, sprinkling plaster on any possible leakages.  Frank was EMERGENCY BOY and would be there with his box of emergency tools to equip any well.. any EMERGENCIES!! We had mixers, pourers and batten holders also assigned to these positions.  We were then ready to go. We grabbed our uniform of face masks and white jackets and got into our positions.

As we poured the sections of the tables, some sections were thicker than others and also the colour of the plaster could be different. We shook the tables once we had poured to make it as flat as possible.  It took as an hour in total, a pretty quick time for the quantity of plaster we had to pour. Some of the plaster at the start had already started to dry and once we finished we noticed a big crack at the end of the table. Others seemed disappointed with this but I thought it was quite beautiful. The crack had lifted up and looked like mountain appearing out of a landscape. The crystals of water on the surface and the touches of the fingers of those who had made it were really unique and made this table top special and subtle.

I think it is a fitting landscape for the work being exhibited on it. 


The presentation of the Royal Academy of Art, The Hague is kindly supported by the municipality of The Hague,
Creatieve Stad Den Haag and a contribution from the European Union.