Student Portal

Frequently asked questions

About the Royal Academy of Art

Which study programmes do you offer?
At the bachelor's level, we offer the programmes Fine Arts and Design. Within Fine Arts, you can choose between ArtScience and Fine Arts. Within Design, you can choose Photography, Graphic Design, Interior Architecture and Furniture Design, Interactive Media Design and Textile and Fashion.

At master's level, we offer the following programmes: Interior Design (INSIDE), Type and Media, Artistic Research, Industrial Design and Non-Linear Narrative. In cooperation with the Royal Conservatoire, we offer the master programme ArtScience.

In addition, it is possible to earn a PhD in the programme PhdArts in cooperation with Leiden University. Finally, we offer various preparatory study programmes including the School for Young Talent (for Dutch secondary school students), the Preparatory Year and the Orientation Course.

What is the duration of a study programme at the KABK?
The duration of a Bachelor's programme is 4 years. The duration of a Master's programme is 2 years. Note that the duration of the Master Type & Media is 1 year.

Can I also study part-time?
Yes, it is possible to study part-time. The Fine Arts and Photography departments offer part-time programmes. Please note that it is NOT possible to study part-time if you need a VISA to study in the Netherlands.

Do you have an Open Day?
Yes, the Royal Academy of Art organizes one Open Day per year, at the end of January. In 2017 our Open Day was held on January 28th. Please check our website for updated information.

Can you send me a brochure?
Yes, we can. However, all detailed information is to be found on the website.

Can I start a bachelor’s or master’s programme from February?
No. The Royal Academy of Art has only one entrance moment in September.

Do you have a campus with rooms for students?
No, we don’t. We do help students with information on finding accommodation in The Hague.

What facilities does the KABK have for students?
Workshops; Art Supply Stores; Photocopying facilities; Library; Canteen; Student card which is also the card used for printing etc.

How many foreign students are enrolled at the Academy?
Approximately 47% of the student population is non-Dutch.

Are the programmes taught in Dutch or in English?
At the Bachelor’s and Master’s level all programmes are taught in English.

About the application procedure:

What is the entry requirement for a bachelor’s programme?
You should have a high school diploma comparable to a Dutch vwo, havo or mbo 4 diploma. If you do not have the required diplomas, but are able to prove - on the basis of an assessment authorized by KABK - that you actually function at the desired level, you can also apply for admission.

Which degree do I need in order to start a Master's programme at the KABK?
A student must possess a Bachelor's degree in the chosen area of study for all Master's programmes offered by KABK independently or in cooperation with the Royal Conservatoire or Leiden University.

Can I speak to someone at the academy before applying?
Yes, please send an email to or with your request. Please specify what you would like to know.

How is the entrance exam conducted?
The entrance exam differs per department. After you have applied via Studielink you will receive an e-mail with detailed information on the entrance exam. In general, the entrance exam will be conducted at the Academy where you will present your portfolio and assignments. However, international students who are not be able to come to The Hague can send in their portfolio and assignments digitally. The department will hold a Skype interview with selected applicants.

When are the entrance exams?
The entrance exams are held (almost) every month, starting in January.

Can I apply for multiple programs at the Royal Academy?
Yes, you can. 

I already studied at an academy of art for one or more years. Can I apply for a higher year directly?
No, you will have to follow the regular application procedure. When you pass the entrance exam, the department decides if you can be admitted to a higher year.

For International Students:

I'm from a NON-EU/EEA country. What is the application deadline?
May 1st.

Do I need a health and liability insurance?
Yes, all international students need a valid health and liability insurance in order to stay and study in the Netherlands. Please check AON for more information.

Which languages should I be able to speak?
All international students should have a good level of English: IELTS 6 or TOEFL 83-internet based test.
(IELTS stands for International English Language Testing System, TOEFL stands for Test of English as a Foreign Language).

Is an IELTS certificate required?
We do not require a specific English certificate, but your English will be evaluated during (the interview in) your entrance exam. Only if the department thinks that your level of English is not up to the minimum requirement of IELTS 6 (overall score) and TOEFL 83-internet based test, they may require a certificate. Chinese applicants, however, are required to hand in a Nuffic certificate which shows that they have a certain level of competency in the English language.

Do I have to learn Dutch in order to study at the Royal Academy of Art, The Hague?

Does Royal Academy of Art, The Hague provide a Dutch language course?
Yes, we do and we require a small fee to be paid by the student at the start of the course.

What do I have to do if I want to study at Royal Academy of Art in The Hague within the framework of an Erasmus exchange programme?
Incoming Erasmus exchange students should contact their Erasmus coordinator or International Office for information. Applications will be forwarded to us by the International Office of the institute at which you are studying. Click here for more information.

What do I have to do if I want to study at Royal Academy of Art in The Hague from a non-Erasmus partner institution?
Incoming exchange students from a non-Erasmus partner University should contact their International Office for information. Applications will be forwarded to us by the International Office of the institute at which you are studying. Click here for more information.

What do I have to do if I want to study at Royal Academy of Art The Hague as a international visiting student (not studying in any one of the Dutch universities)?
You can study at the Royal Academy of Art The Hague as an international free mover/visiting student. The application procedure is the same as for the Erasmus students. Important: all visiting students/free movers will have to pay tuition fee for their study period at the Academy. More info for international students here.

About VISA:

How can I arrange my VISA?
The student administration will inform you with arranging the VISA formalities. All international Bachelor-, Master- and exchange students requiring VISA or residence permit will be contacted by the student administration and will be assisted with the VISA procedure as soon as they have been accepted.

What does the VISA application procedure involve?
The student administration will send your VISA application to the IND (the Dutch Immigration Service).
The IND may take two to five weeks to process your application. When the IND has approved your VISA application,  we will inform you about this decision by e-mail.
You will be requested to contact the Dutch Embassy in your home country or the country of continuous residence to pick up your VISA.
An entry VISA is valid for only 90 days and is meant to be followed by a residence permit for a longer period of time.
Please note it might take time to get an appointment at the embassy.

What is the IND?
The IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Service) is the national office that handles all VISA and residence permit applications and extensions in the Netherlands. The student administration will contact the IND on behalf of the student to arrange all VISA applications. You can find more information on their website and on

When will you start my entry VISA application?
When you are accepted to the Royal Academy of Art you will receive an email from the student administration describing the steps to take. As soon as we have received all required information, we will start your VISA application at the IND. Please note that we cannot start the VISA application any sooner than three months before the start of your study programme.

What financial means do I need to receive a VISA?
You will need to prove to us that you have around €10.500,- in your current bank account, in order for you to receive a VISA. The fee for the VISA application is €317,-

I do not have my VISA yet, but can I already book my flight?
We advise you not to book your ticket as long as you do not have your entry VISA. However, you can make a refundable reservation for a flight. Please contact the airline and investigate carefully if your ticket can be refunded in case your VISA is delayed.

I have an EU nationality, do I also need a residence permit?
No, EU nationals do not need a residence permit in order to study at the Royal Academy of Art.

About financial matters:

How much is the tuition fee?
The tuition fee is decided upon every year. Click here for the latest information.

When do I have to pay my tuition fee?
After you have been accepted you will receive an acceptance letter (via mail) and documents to be filled in. In these documents the time-schedule for and method of payment will be explained. The tuition fee will have to be paid before the start of the programme.

Is the tuition fee for the Master programme the same as for the Bachelor programme?

Does the Royal Academy of Art The Hague provide grants to foreign students?
No, we do not offer any scholarships. Please check for other possibilities.

What does a year living/rent/residency cost in The Hague?
10,500 Euro according to the IND (Dutch immigration).


Do you offer any preparatory programmes?
Yes, the Royal Academy of Art, The hague offers a preparatory programme. There is an entrance exam for this programme. For more information please check here.

Does the Royal Academy of Art offer orientation programmes?
Yes, we do. For more information please check here.

Does Royal Academy of Art, The Hague also provide summer courses?

Print friendly

Last updated: 2017-08-26

      Copyright © 2010-2017 KABK Den Haag
All Rights Reserved